Tuesday 20 April 2021

A quick post and a lazy one!

So it's 10pm on Tuesday 20th April which happens to be my birthday. I've had a lovely day and am now very tired. Things have conspired against me time wise and I have not prepared a midweek thought, so rather than try to get my weary mind into gear, I'm being lazy and will postpone one for now. It didn't help that I flooded my kitchen last night and other things crept in to eat up the time. I've nearly finished some training I'm doing so that'll free up a little bit of time, but if you're like me, any extra time you create by giving up something or it coming to an end, mysteriously disappears! Hence that need for stillness.

I can honestly say I am loved! Not just by my amazing God, but by so many friends and family ... I am tremendously blessed beyond measure and I don't take it for granted. I have by this time in the evening, received over 75 household birthday wishes, individually thought out and given to me. Thank you. I know each and every one of you and value your unique personality, friendship and care for me.

How we live and with whom we share our lives is so important. We are an influence whether we realise it or not. I struggle with many things and have flaws, foibles and failings but if I am known for something then I hope it is for being kind.

The flowers in the photo were apparently chosen by my 3 year old daughter, facilitated by some of the best people I know, who constantly give of themselves to me and my children. 

I'll never be 46 again but I can make sure that the remaining time I have left on earth, is full of goodness. Thinking about how we live our lives and their eventual end, I'll share with you something one of my sisters found out and shared with the family because it's such a lovely piece of music. It was part of the military band tribute at Prince Philip's funeral and one which isn't as easily recognisable as others maybe were. She found out that it was called 'Supreme Sacrifice' and that the words which go with the music were taken from a World War 1 poem written by Sir John Stanhope Arkwright. The piece starts at 0.55 seconds into the clip:


O valiant hearts who to your glory came
Through dust of conflict and through battle flame;
Tranquil you lie, your knightly virtue proved,
Your memory hallowed in the land you loved.

Proudly you gathered, rank on rank, to war
As who had heard God’s message from afar;
All you had hoped for, all you had, you gave,
To save mankind—yourselves you scorned to save.

Splendid you passed, the great surrender made;
Into the light that nevermore shall fade;
Deep your contentment in that blest abode,
Who wait the last clear trumpet call of God.

Long years ago, as earth lay dark and still,
Rose a loud cry upon a lonely hill,
While in the frailty of our human clay,
Christ, our Redeemer, passed the self same way.

Still stands His Cross from that dread hour to this,
Like some bright star above the dark abyss;
Still, through the veil, the Victor’s pitying eyes
Look down to bless our lesser Calvaries.

These were His servants, in His steps they trod,
Following through death the martyred Son of God:
Victor, He rose; victorious too shall rise
They who have drunk His cup of sacrifice.

O risen Lord, O Shepherd of our dead,
Whose cross has bought them and Whose staff has led,
In glorious hope their proud and sorrowing land
Commits her children to Thy gracious hand.

Prince Philip chose every detail of his funeral ahead of time and what a beautiful occasion it was, despite the solemnity. A quote from him caught my eye and has challenged me to keep any further very long midweek thoughts or posts, more succinct! ... This was him on long sermons: "The mind cannot absorb what the backside cannot endure". Say no more!

Ingrid x



  

No comments:

Post a Comment

A piece of audio work ~ Sleep To The Psalms

Hi Folks It's been a while and I've decided to reappear to chat some more if that's ok! I've completed a piece of audio work...