Monday 29 August 2022

What do I truly value and in what order?

I’m recovering from some fairly major abdominal surgery.

I just about make ends meet each month financially.

That’s just my current reality. So when reading the quote from Billy Graham it made me stop and think.

I value my health, especially at my age with three young children … that’s why I’ve had the surgery done. We are given precious bodies to live in and have a duty to care for them well.

I value money and resources because without them it’s pretty hard to exist! I have learnt to manage on less and to still share what I have. Often in return I receive unexpected blessings / gifts from others.

I have to agree with Billy though, that underpinning everything else is our character, and how that character is shaped and shared, will in turn effect everything else.

You loose your character, and your health and wealth will become disproportionate… warped in their status. It could go one way or another … they may suddenly become the be all and end all; of vital importance and meaning … or disregarded as though on a self-distruct regime; a negative spiraling into a dark place.

The maintenance of balance is key. Inner character … integrity, honesty, spirituality, kindness, empathy, compassion, community should trump the externals of image and status. Those who have it the right way round and maintain it as such, are such a blessing to be around, it is a privilege to spend time in their company. It’s almost like they are a floating a little above the twisted pulls of materialism and outward appearance.

It’s how God designed us and wishes us to be. The inward trumps the outward.

“You desire truth (faithfulness; Integrity) in the inward parts” Psalm 51v6.

“… for man looks at the outward appearance; but God looks at the heart” 1 Samuel 16v7.

The Bible is full of verses commending the development of good character over riches and popularity both in the old and new testaments … worth taking note and keeping a right perspective with our priorities in order … daily.

Ingrid x

No comments:

Post a Comment

A piece of audio work ~ Sleep To The Psalms

Hi Folks It's been a while and I've decided to reappear to chat some more if that's ok! I've completed a piece of audio work...