Monday 8 March 2021

Quietness

When was the last time you can recall being completely quiet (apart from at night, sleeping)? Not just quiet, but quiet in mind and soul ... still.

I appreciate that many of us may have background noises like the humming of an electrical appliance, the scurrying of a guinea pig, if you’re on a flight path then planes, a neighbour mowing the grass perhaps ... but with the exception of things which are out of your control, how often are you still and quiet? I don’t mean doing yoga or something which is maybe ‘mindful’, I mean just the focus of stillness and quiet. It’s not easy and maybe it even feels uncomfortable for some.

Quietness isn’t the same as rest time or relaxation although those times can be quiet enough.... it’s a stillness, a space of time not set aside for anything other than being still and completely quiet... just being.... even if it’s for less than 5 minutes. In that space, God can speak more clearly that at other times I would suggest.

I think it’s a good idea to create a ‘quiet place’, somewhere to go to where you can find that pause and stillness. If possible, make others aware of your place and that you’re going to it for the purpose of quiet ... if need be, set a timer for them so that they know not to disturb you for the set time (unless there’s an emergency!)

We should never assume that quiet is weak and loud is strong. We need quiet time to examine our lives, reflect, learn and to give our minds an opportunity to renew themselves... to simply soak in truth and allow God’s peace to flood into our lives through our hearts and minds.

Do we need to be quiet to hear Gods voice? God isn’t restricted in His communication with us by whether we have specific quiet times every day or not, however I do feel that unless we set aside time to commune with Him quietly, we can miss out on closer friendship and depth of relationship with Him. 

I know very well that if there’s too much noise going on, it’s hard to listen to someone ... likewise, if we are seeking to hear God talking to us, revealing something, leading, calling us to a work, then we need to be able to listen clearly and not be distracted by other ‘sounds’. He doesn’t shout at us, in fact He is described in 1 Kings as having a still small voice.

1 Kings 19v11-12 “the Lord passed by, and a great strong wind tore into the mountains and broke the rocks in pieces ... but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake; and after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice”.

I am easily distracted. Even if I try to quieten my mind and focus on God, asking Him to teach me, lead me, comfort me, or whatever it may be ... my mind just goes off at a tangent so quickly, even if I don’t want it to. It’s not something I find easy at all.

I also know that I’m often too quick to talk, maybe interrupt and certainly to shout at my children when they seem incapable of hearing me unless I raise my voice. It’s not nice and I don’t think its right. A quiet spirit doesn’t mean you cannot maintain boundaries or discipline, in fact it may well demonstrate greater control and conviction. Often a soft word from one who has the authority of faith, has wielded more power and effected more change than the armies of those shouting in unison.

This wasn’t meant to be a long post and it’ll all link into my midweek thought tomorrow, so I will just share a few more wonderful verses which reference quietness. I love that our strength can be found in quietness and that a quiet spirit is unfadingly beautiful!

Isaiah 32v17 “And the effect of righteousness will be peace, and the result of righteousness, quietness and trust forever”.


17 

Isaiah 30v15 “In quietness and confidence is your strength”.

1 Timothy 2v1-3 “I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people - for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior”.

1 Peter 3v4 “Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight”.

1 Thes 4v11 “And to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life”.

Mark 6v31 “(Jesus said) ... Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest”.

Lamentations 3v26 “It is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord”.

Ecclesiasties 9v17 “The quiet words of the wise are more to be heeded than the shouts of a ruler of fools”.

Isaiah 30v15 “This is what the Sovereign Lord the Holy One of Israel says: “In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength”.

If we take a proper look at our own lives, our mental health and what we expect of ourselves in a day, I think we would all honestly conclude that regular quiet times would be of great value, not only to our spirituality but also our general health. Napoleon Bonaparte once said “The best cure for the body is a quiet mind” ... it makes sense to me.

So let us try to create some regular time to just be quiet ... no distractions.

Ingrid x


No comments:

Post a Comment

A piece of audio work ~ Sleep To The Psalms

Hi Folks It's been a while and I've decided to reappear to chat some more if that's ok! I've completed a piece of audio work...