Friday 22 January 2021

Looking up

Why don’t we look up more?

I appreciate that lately in my patch of the UK, if you did look up outside too much then the rain clouds would have no doubt given way to a moroseness, potentially leading to the desire for hibernation.

However, yesterday evening for example, I walked out to let my dog have a final run round before bedtime and I was so focused on watching her (to be fair she is on her last legs and I needed to make sure she didn’t fall or seize up), that I kept my gaze downward.  It was only as she walked further away from me that I lifted my head to see the heavens declaring the glory of God (Psalm 19v1)!

The stars were magnificent.  The moon was so bright.  There’s very little light pollution where I am so the heavens can appear vivid and often seem to come closer the more you gaze upwards with a steady stare.  Constellations like Taurus were showcasing their star clusters such as the seven sisters (Pleiades) ... (although why is it that even on the clearest of nights, I only ever seem to be able to count 6 of them!).  No matter how much of a rush I’m in, it would be totally lacking of me not to pause.... breathe... gaze.... pause.... wonder and reflect.

Reflect?  What on?  Even in a matter of say a minute (a 5yr old at the back door telling me there are black bits in his water!), I was reminded of two things.  The majesty of God and the smallness of myself.  Perspective is key.

I find creation beautiful.  It really is.  The night sky is no exception.  Our minds just can’t comprehend it all, but it is beautiful.  It is also vast and complex.  To think that the One who upholds all things by the word of His power (Hebrews 1v3) finds me beautiful and takes an interest in my life is humbling.  Despite being less than a speck in the universe and throughout the timeline of eternity, the God who was, and is, and is to come is honestly concerned with my welfare, the welfare of my children and still has things for me to do for Him. 

He desires me very specifically to do something with my life for Him.  I am unique, made for a purpose, worthwhile and loved, therefore I have gifts and a role to play that I am best suited to fulfill, not you!  You of course can say exactly the same thing.  Incredible and what a privilege.

I find it easy to be dismissive about this and almost use the ‘I am small’ card as an excuse not to doing anything. After all, I don’t feel as though I have much to offer, or the time for that matter and certainly not the energy.... I am mostly, constantly tired!

However, I have come to the realisation recently that the less I focus on me and what I am, or am not, what I lack, how I disappoint and mess up, and the more I focus on just talking to God through the day and sharing everything with Him, the greater clarity I get on what’s important in life.  I find I get the strength to endure, peace to accept, patience to continue, courage to stay firm and the faith to trust God for the next step, then the next one, and in fact for the major decisions which may lay just round the corner. He has gone before and prepared the way. Where He directs, He will provide.  I can rest in this.  

CS Lewis said “True humility is not thinking less of yourself, it is thinking of yourself less”.  Don’t go beating yourself up about past failures, you are more than the sum of your past!  Your mistakes and poor choices do not define you. Instead of lingering with an inward and backward gaze, direct it upward.  Don’t try to view and find God through your problems and circumstances.... see them through the filter of God.  Have Him as your primary focus and all that unfolds before you in life will become less daunting, maybe more pleasing and possible, but certainly more spiritually empowering.  Truth will filtrate into every part of your life, bringing glory to God and the outpouring of His light to others around you.

I struggle like the best of us and often resist, get faint hearted and vulnerable, but moments pass and the God of all grace is there just as He was at the start.  Isn’t it great that He is the same yesterday, today and forever!

Just like that night sky, full of stars beyond number, I, as a 1, can seem insignificant, yet each star is there for a purpose and is beautiful beyond description.  You, like that star, are beautiful beyond description and much more precious to God than any star.  You were created with a unique pattern to God’s design so that you could live out your life as no other person has, could or ever will.

You are amazing.  You are loved.  You are valuable and precious to God.  Simply trust Him.

Ingrid x

John 15v9 Jesus says “make yourselves at home in my love” (The Message)



No comments:

Post a Comment

A piece of audio work ~ Sleep To The Psalms

Hi Folks It's been a while and I've decided to reappear to chat some more if that's ok! I've completed a piece of audio work...