Thursday 21 January 2021

Midweek thought 13.1.21

Heart Sharing ~ An honest reflection

As my first attempt at a midweek thought, please ‘bear with’. 

I am somewhat incapable at the moment to take the time to think far beyond my current circumstances and challenges, therefore my flurry of thoughts will be rather personal but hopefully somehow relevant to you too.


I keep thinking, how can I be of any encouragement to you when I am so broken and weak myself.  I can go from a seemingly patient, fun, loving mother to snapping at my children so harshly that I inwardly recoil from the ugly sound of my own voice. Why does my desire for Christ-centredness, true perspective and loving patience dissipate so quickly at times?  The ongoing struggle with our ‘old nature’ is real every day, especially during these highly stressful times.  


I have recently felt very overwhelmed and at the brink of tipping over some unknown edge which will always as you can imagine, bring a great sense of fear, struggle, panic and the desire to run and hide…. I did envisage escaping to some woodland, building a den with the children and teaching them to forage.  Away from societal demands, expectations, regulations, relational conflict, feelings associated with the perceived failure to perform and complete the endless list of things to do every day.


Unable (or more to the point, not allowed), to reach out for help in the traditional way, it can leave one feeling almost panic strikingly helpless.  I realise that if we all shared our own stories, each one of us would have challenges, concerns, heartache and exhaustion to convey. We would want to encourage, listen, care and provide, to do whatever was needed to build up, restore, renew and move each other forward into a more positive place.  


One thing we can do which no virus can stop us from, is to ask each other for prayer.  This in fact is the most powerful weapon we have, each of us, for each other.  I have personally known the power of prayer in my life when I have reached out and asked for it very recently. The answer I have wanted has not always been given, however I have been given the strength to come through the challenge (not easily I may add, and often with a great deal of tears).


It is so easy to quote verses which are aimed to support and encourage, however at times even they can seem lacking and almost cruel when they fly in the face of your own sense of overwhelm and fear.


“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Philippians 4v3)

“The joy of the Lord is your strength” (Nehemiah 8v10)

“My grace is sufficient for you” (2 Cor 12v9)

My strength is made perfect in weakness” (2 Cor 12v9)

It is often said that God will not give you more than you can bear.  I sometimes think that in fact He does, for the very reason that you will then rely on Him rather than your own resources.  


Suffering can often be the only thing which forces us to flee for refuge and strength to the only one who can give it.  


To shelter under those wings; to run into that strong tower; to curl up in the palm of His hand; to listen only to His voice; to call out like Peter “Lord save me” and to immediately be taken by the hand of the Saviour, then accompanied by Him back to the boat, back to a place of security and calm.  


The reassurance of knowing His presence through whatever circumstance will always give a peace which is beyond our comprehension because it just doesn’t make human sense.  It is impossible to humanly generate it as it comes from the divine.


At times when little else seems to aid our weary hearts, bodies and souls we must rise and cling to the truth of Gods faithfulness.  He is faithful no matter what is around the next corner of our lives. That is truth.  Speak it out loud and rely on it despite what you may be feeling. Feelings are not reliable, are often inaccurate and certainly are best not used to guide decisions or dictate choices.  Keep breathing, just do the next right thing and realise that your never changing, constantly available, faithful God is a heart call away.  He wants to hear from you, help you and will be there for you no matter how you feel, what challenge you face and even if you doubt His presence and promises at times.


It would be good if we could all take some time each day to memorise a promise which God has given us in His word the Bible.  That way, when times are tough, we can speak out loud a promise to claim for ourselves and to hear the truth of His word.  Here’s an obvious one to start with:

“Great is thy faithfulness” (Lam 3v23)


If you get a chance, go onto youtube and listen to this song:’Truth I’m Standing On’ by Leanna Crawford:


https://youtu.be/mQq1zEBk41E


I listened to it for the first time yesterday and it spoke to my heart, expressing a lot of what I have shared and felt.

I’d also like to share a poem my sister in USA sent me as an encouragement yesterday (see below).

 

May the God of all comfort wrap you up with His faithfulness, love and peace.


Ingrid x 

 

“From an old English parsonage down by the sea

There came in the twilight a message to me;

Its quaint Saxon legend, deeply engraven,

Hath, it seems to me, teaching from Heaven.

And on through the doors the quiet words ring

Like a low inspiration: “DO THE NEXT THING.”

 

Many a questioning, many a fear,

Many a doubt, hath its quieting here.

Moment by moment, let down from Heaven,

Time, opportunity, and guidance are given.

Fear not tomorrows, child of the King,

Trust them with Jesus, do the next thing

 

Do it immediately, do it with prayer;

Do it reliantly, casting all care;

Do it with reverence, tracing His hand

Who placed it before thee with earnest command.

Stayed on Omnipotence, safe ‘neath His wing,

Leave all results, do the next thing.

 

Looking for Jesus, ever serener,

Working or suffering, be thy demeanor;

In His dear presence, the rest of His calm,

The light of His countenance be thy psalm,

Strong in His faithfulness, praise and sing.

Then, as He beckons thee, do the next thing.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A piece of audio work ~ Sleep To The Psalms

Hi Folks It's been a while and I've decided to reappear to chat some more if that's ok! I've completed a piece of audio work...