Thursday 1 April 2021

An old chorus

Some of you may recall this chorus that I remember from Sunday school days. I don’t really know why it came into my head, but as I sang it to myself I was struck by the wonderful words:

Happiness is to know the Saviour
Living a life, within his favour
Having a change in my behaviour
Happiness is the Lord
Real joy is mine, no matter if the tear drops start,
I’ve found a secret, it’s Jesus in my heart...
Happiness is to be forgiven
Living a life that’s worth the living
Taking a trip that leads to heaven
Happiness is the Lord

Such simple yet profound truths and promises. I often don’t feel enough happiness and joy ... my focus is wrong. Isn’t my salvation worth being happy about? Absolutely yes! And when the teardrops start? I can still have that deep seated joy because I have Jesus in my heart! No matter how my heart ‘feels’, the truth is that Jesus is still present, He still cares, I’m still saved and I’m on a trip with the ultimate destination being heaven.

What’s not to be happy about!

As we contemplate the events that took place those many years ago in Jerusalem, let us be struck by the magnitude of what Christ suffered for us. He willingly gave Himself for those who had lived before, the people around Him at the time and all of us since then. It’s easy enough to say that He suffered false accusation and that He was despised, but I want to put myself into the sentence ... I have falsely accused Him; I have reviled and despised Him; I have turned my back on Him ... the King of Glory, my Creator ... who do I think I am ... how dare I ... and yet despite the Lord knowing that I would do all these things, He still chose to die so that I could be saved. The love that He had and has for me is so vast that He would have done anything to rescue me from my own destruction, and He did. 

Sin cannot enter heaven, my destiny was sealed and doomed unless a suitable substitute could vouch for me and take my place. No human could be found, we’re all born with sin ... humankind, destined for our own self destruction, through our own choices. It would have made sense to leave us to our own devices, having chosen to ignore God. That’s not how the heart of God works. His love is not like our love. To know that the only perfect substitute was His son Jesus and that being of one mind, Jesus was willing to fulfill the greatest rescue mission ever, God sent Him into the world ... to redeem us. 

It truly is the best story ever told; the greatest love story; action story; tragedy; mystery and thriller all in one. The most amazing part ... it’s all true and it includes you. It may be over 2000 years old but it’s as relevant now as it ever has been and ever will be ... why? Because it applies to every soul born, therefore it is timeless ... it is of vital importance to each individual as we all have the responsibility to make a response to this story. We can chose to believe or reject it. 

Please believe, for your souls sake.

Ingrid x






No comments:

Post a Comment

A piece of audio work ~ Sleep To The Psalms

Hi Folks It's been a while and I've decided to reappear to chat some more if that's ok! I've completed a piece of audio work...