Tuesday 6 April 2021

Midweek Thought ~ Abundant blessings

Ephesians 3v20 says: “now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us”.

Isn’t that such an amazing verse? But if you’re anything like me, you’d automatically process the verse in terms of materialistic application. If I ask for x then I could get x plus more! That may well be true as God is not limited in His benevolence toward us ... He is a good Father, waiting to bless us and provide for us.  Remember those verses that talk about an earthy father .... if his child were to ask for some bread, would he give him a stone? ... if we know how to give good gifts to our children, how much more will our Heavenly Father give us (Luke 11v9-13).

Whilst making tea, I just started to reflect on it all and wanted to personally challenge myself. I know for example, that I would like to use my home for the Lord and maybe do a work for Him, from it. If therefore, God provides that home, even above and beyond what I had asked and hoped for ... it is my responsibility to not only remember and be daily thankful, but to follow and live out the desires that fed my request. It belongs to the Lord and must be used for His work and glory.

Remember also the verse in Job (1v21): “the Lord gave and the Lord has taken away, blessed be the name of the Lord”. What if the Lord took away what had been given? Would I bless His name or blame Him? If I saw what He had given me as His and not mine, for His work and not for my pleasure, then if He were to take it, I should be accepting and acknowledge His hand in it ... that there would be a reason, maybe beyond what I can understand, but my trust in Him should never waver.

I’m going to repeat that to myself ... my trust in God’s provision for my life must not be based on current circumstances, whether more than comfortable, or struggling financially, ... my trust is in a person, not in external evidence of physical blessing. My circumstances must not dictate my faith. Surely my faith can grow despite my circumstances, whatever they are. God is above all and never changes, therefore He can be trusted implicitly ... nothing will surprise Him and because I know He cares about the detail of my life (and yours), wherever we find ourselves, He is there with us.

But going back to the verse at the start, I know that what I should be asking and thinking, is not primarily about materialistic concerns, but rather about spiritual ones. Wouldn’t it be better for my requests to be focused on spiritual gifts rather than physical ones? Where are my priorities based and what comes to the forefront of my thinking? Is it ‘the ideal home’ first and then ‘so I can use it for you Lord’ ... or is it ‘I want to live for you wherever I am’ first, and then the request for a home secondary to that, willing to leave the details to God?

I confess that mine often get muddled together just because most of the time my mind is a bit like scrambled eggs anyway! So I do in fact pray for wisdom, discretion, courage, for a heart like Gods, right words and fairness, strength, insight, patience, a willingness and great faith to share God's love with others. I pray for calmness and rest so that I am sustained throughout each day. These are spiritual desires and good things to pray for. What I need, is the application of them into my daily life and petitions for tangible, physical things.

The more I live and think about it, the more I am convinced that it is our hearts and motives which direct and dictate blessing in every form. God wants our hearts and minds first. It’s priority and perspective ... get them right and focused on God, His word, His truth, His desires as to how we should live, His view of sin and the world, His care about creation, His love for everyone (yes everyone) ... and then everything else will fall into place. In fact we’ll be so preoccupied with enjoying the spiritual blessings and gifts, that the practical, physical concerns we had about our personal circumstances, won’t really be a bother to us at all ... certainly not stressful or overwhelming in the same way.

Just remember that if you pray for status, fame, wealth and you get it ... thank God and use those gifts wisely for Him. If He takes them away, still thank Him and praise Him. He loves you and cares for you above all else and no matter what our circumstance in life, that will never change.

What God wants is for us to commune with Him. It's relational not transactional. The outpouring of blessing and provision upon us from God, is a natural consequence to our relationship and communion with Him. 

We need never worry about our basic needs ... we are worth more than the sparrows and God has great care for them (Matt 10v31). He clothes the lilies of the field in beauty (Luke 12v27) and we can claim the promise in Philippians 4v19 which says "my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus".

Get to know God, trust Him and the rest will follow ... above and beyond what you may ask or think! God is good. 😊

Ingrid x



No comments:

Post a Comment

A piece of audio work ~ Sleep To The Psalms

Hi Folks It's been a while and I've decided to reappear to chat some more if that's ok! I've completed a piece of audio work...