Sunday 9 May 2021

My Speech

As Christians, we should be characterised by certain qualities, one of which must surely be the way we speak. I have to massively challenge myself with this one because for starters, I talk too much apparently! 😶 I often become snappy and impatient. I also say things which would have been better off kept inside ... once words are spoken, they cannot be taken back ... I need to learn restraint and to be more considered in my speech. It's that fruit of the spirit ... self control. I like these few verses:

"Let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger" (James 1v19).

"Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear" (Eph 4v29).

"Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person" (Col 4v6).

There is little point searching for quotes about the power of the tongue when you have passages in the Bible like this ... check it out:

"If we put bits into the mouths of horses so that they obey us, we guide their whole bodies as well. Look at the ships also: though they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are guided by a very small rudder wherever the will of the pilot directs. So also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things. How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire! And the tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness. The tongue is set among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the entire course of life, and set on fire by hell. For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and sea creature, can be tamed and has been tamed by mankind, but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing" (James 3v3-10).

Yep! It sounds dramatic but of course it wouldn't take anyone very long, to consider their own use of words at times, or to recall words spoken against them and the lasting damage, to recognise the truth of this description. I have experienced both. Words can hurt far more than sticks and stones, that's for sure. "The tongue has no bones, but is strong enough to break a heart. So be careful with your words" (Unknown).

I often pray this (it's a great verse to memorise):

"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer" (Psalm 19v14).

There is the flip side of course, and that's to be brave enough to speak out when needed, and not keep quiet. I don't think that's always easy either ... it can take courage (to overcome fear), and a lot of wisdom. Let's pray for that wisdom from God to enable us to use kind but truthful words when needed, and to remain silent if what we feel like saying is unprofitable, unkind or manipulative.

Set your default speech as being kind ... a kind word costs nothing but could change someone's day entirely.

Ingrid x

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Little Thought 3

In a recent UCB word for the day I read “When people attempt to use situations to destroy you, God can use them to develop you. He delights ...