Friday 20 August 2021

This photo is from the beautiful Mutinondo Wilderness, west of the Luangwa valley in northern Zambia. I have been there. It is a place where you can view from “horizon to horizon without evidence of human activity”.

The inselbergs are unique and stand steady, immovable but inoffensive, providing stable platforms for viewing and feeling at one with the vast expanse of creatorial beauty and diversity. 

It’s so easy to feel swayed by opinions, threats, intimidation, false information, fear and worry. Not that long ago, I learnt about the grey rock method of coping with certain people and situations … it’s helpful. What’s better though, is to realise and experience that the God who made the grey rocks is the one who can provide the best support, stability and strength for any challenge we may face.

This is my verse of the moment:

“I keep my eyes always on the Lord. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken” (Psalm 16v8).

007 JB may prefer his favorite cocktail shaken, not stirred, but when it comes to our general state of mind and very being, I for one would choose to be neither! To not be shaken … how encouraging and reassuring. It gives me strength to stand by my convictions, to be confident and not to doubt. What I must not do though, is to focus on the end part without primarily absorbing and living out the first part … eyes always on the Lord … conscious of him at my right hand … that I must do. Like Peter walking on the sea … no problem with his eyes on the Lord, but remove them for the shortest of time and like him, we’ll be all at sea! 

I know I’d rather be steady than shaken … confidently calm rather than churning in chaos. So like the man who built his house upon the rock, let’s genuinely settle our daily lives into Christ our rock so that when the winds of change, challenge and confusion arrive, we are secure, steadfast and safe … not shaken. Peace will thus ensue … and having sat on a rock like in the photo, I can assure you that it is indeed very peaceful.

Ingrid x


No comments:

Post a Comment

A piece of audio work ~ Sleep To The Psalms

Hi Folks It's been a while and I've decided to reappear to chat some more if that's ok! I've completed a piece of audio work...