Tuesday 2 November 2021

The Eyes of my Heart

In Ephesians 1v18 Paul says: “I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people”.

I’ve been pondering how we can often berate ourselves as Christians for not being more committed or diligent in some aspect of our spiritual lives and therefore not being more noticeable in our faith. It can feel as though we are failing and not declaring forth the greatness of our God and his provision of salvation if we are simply living our lives in a way that is essentially the same as our peer and societal group. 

Should we look different and be noticed as different … outsiders? In the world but not of the world … what does that mean? Should I challenge myself to change because it looks like I’m conforming to this world?

Now, challenge is good if it leads to a greater spiritual appetite, depth of faith and understanding of God which then in turn spills over into natural evangelism … (I read recently that adoration is the best preparation ground for action) … but I do not see how challenge and a self-deprecating attitude is likely to raise the spiritual bar. To me, it rather does the opposite and can lead to negativity and untruths about my own worthlessness and weakness ~ what’s the point in trying as I’m never going to really please God or grow into a mature spiritual believer; I keep failing; I must really disappoint God; I’m awful at witnessing; I never read my Bible enough etc … unhelpful sentiments!

I’m not talking about growth here … that’s always necessary and on-going; but more in relation to our perceived image, persona and appearance as a Christian … our outward lives. You can probably tell I’m thinking as I ramble and write! 

Most of us will have fairly ordinary lives for the most part. We are affected by and undertake daily ‘norms’ the same as anyone else on the planet. I’m a busy lone parent with many other demands on my time … my days are often hurried with regular outbursts of impatience.

So, I’m beginning to think that what makes me an ‘outsider’ is much more about what’s on the inside. It’s not about external appearance or dramatics to become noticed as different, but rather what my life is anchored on to begin with. That then changes how I live … through my responses, my decisions, my attitudes and ability to control myself. My circumstances, choices and challenges may be no different to anyone else’s … my life may ‘look’ the same, but the internal peace provided, hope guaranteed and assurance of unconditional love, will be my compass and surety. I do not need to feel alone and hopeless because I have a grounded faith which works from the inside out. I do not need to search endlessly for purpose and fulfillment; I do not need to rely on the next ‘high’ or kick to either feed my adrenaline or obliterate my thoughts and worries … I do not need to explain away, mock or fear what is beyond death … I can quite simply trust God and be at peace.

If my life, from the inside out, is guided and governed by God; led by the Holy Spirit; directed by God’s word the Bible and powered by the love of Christ, then I will be who I was created to be, and God will be pleased … in the mayhem of my own unique life, each day, I can be that. Remember, his burden is easy and his yoke his light … God doesn’t want us fretting and toiling over our own inadequacies (they’re obvious enough!), but rather to dig deep into his word and the peace he provides so that we’re grounded in the present moment and be the best ‘me’ for that exact moment. Be mindful and don’t miss what’s around you right now.

That’s what I think living with enlightened heart eyes is all about. What are your eyes for? What is your heart for? Combine them and see Jesus … let him well up from within you and then you will see the world around you as he intends … love and compassion will pour out, and in all the normal ways of living you will be his hands and feet, bringing salt and light to all you meet.

“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit” (Romans 15v13).

Ingrid x


No comments:

Post a Comment

A piece of audio work ~ Sleep To The Psalms

Hi Folks It's been a while and I've decided to reappear to chat some more if that's ok! I've completed a piece of audio work...