Thursday 4 August 2022

Calm conquers Fear

“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” (Matthew 11:28–30 MSG)


I love these verses in The Message … learn the unforced rhythms of grace … live freely and lightly! Sounds so lovely doesn’t it? And indeed it is.


We often stumble and confuse ourselves by assuming the freedom and rest found in Christ dovetail with positive feelings and an almost tranquil state of being. Life isn’t generally like that I think you’ll agree.


I am very reassured that in the midst of a storm, whatever storm that may be, with Christ at the centre of your life and the focus of your mind, it is still possible to live freely and find His rest. It’s not airy fairy … it’s not only applicable to the serene, restful, happy days. It’s much deeper and more powerful than that.


This is the type of freedom, grace, and peace which has the power to defeat giants and to weather any storm.


I am fearful. I have surgery coming up and a few new challenges within the coming months. Humanly speaking it’s daunting and I will be scared, upset, doubting, lacking in confidence and will struggle. Why? Because I’m human. However, even when in the throes of those fears I can still find the deep, solid surety of Christ’s calm … His steadying hand and His powerful peace. That’s what’s tremendous to me!


It’s within those darkest moments when doubt and fear raise their heads that the cry out to God for help can release the inner floodgates through the Holy Spirit, pervading every part of you with a calm and peace powerful enough to prevail.


I find that when I raise my eyes up from my fear to my Lord, I am filled with a peace that calms my very being and even enables me to praise. By praising, the fear which loomed so large becomes smaller. Just like David, horrified that some giant would defy his God, did not measure the size of fear or the fear of the size of ‘the problem’ but rather focused his whole being on the size and might of the champion he had at his disposal … God, the creator of heaven and earth!


That’s what faith does when you have a personal knowledge of who God is ðŸ˜Š.


I love this song by Natalie Grant; ‘Praise You in this Storm’:

https://youtu.be/DJdd5OXZNZE


Ingrid x


No comments:

Post a Comment

A piece of audio work ~ Sleep To The Psalms

Hi Folks It's been a while and I've decided to reappear to chat some more if that's ok! I've completed a piece of audio work...