Tuesday 16 March 2021

Midweek Thought ~ Death (and beyond)!

“What is the most surprising thing in the world?” a celestial figure asks a nobleman. The nobleman replies: “Day after day man sees countless people die but still he acts and thinks as if he will live forever.”

Oh the fallacy of humankind in relation to death. When we are born, the one thing that we can expect, is death (unless Christ returns before that happens). We are likely to have displayed on our headstones, dates: 1974 - ????. That little dash is a pathetic symbol of a life ... the life behind that dash is uniquely mine or yours. I read recently "Think of your life as a timeless trophy of His goodness for future generations" (Chuck Swindoll). What would the dash say if it could speak? Let's make it meaningful so that what's left behind is a wonderful personal contribution. We have today, with no knowledge of our time beyond it ... use it. While we have life, let us live, let us know what it is to live for Him, not just be alive (these words come from a song I've been listening to called 'Say I won't' by MercyMe).

For me, I think it’s about time I looked at the reality of death itself and released the grip of fear that surrounds it. I'm not afraid of what's beyond death ... I know that I am secure in the hope of eternal life. I "will not perish, but have everlasting life" (John 3v16), yet there is still the prospect of dying and all the unknowns around it ... when; how; have I planned for it in a practical sense; what about my children and such like? It's not an easy subject but I am beginning to think more and more that it should be. If we take away the fear, then as the Bible says 'death looses it's sting and the grave looses it's victory' (1 Cor 15v55).

I had to make a phone call today which I've been dreading. I called the vets to make an appointment to have my dog put to sleep. Awful. Fear can be healthy in relation to certain things, but it can also be such a hinderance. Franklin Roosevelt addressed the nation during the Great Depression with these words: "Let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself - nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyses needed efforts to convert retreat into advance". To advance forward in life with calm certainty and strength of conviction, we first need to overcome fear.

I'm not suggesting that the enormous grief and trauma surrounding death would be lessened ... there is grief in separation and hope in unity ... but as with anything in life, if we are prepared then we feel a greater sense of calm and assurance about the occasion. Take for example going on holiday: if you are going away for 2 weeks, what do you do in advance? There are the obvious things like packing and checking your passport, booking a taxi or parking, but if you're like me, you'll clean the house and change the bed sheets so that you come back to it all tidy and clean! You may need to arrange pet sitters, insurance, let others knows and many other bits and pieces. All that for 2 weeks which aren't even guaranteed! What if your holiday is cancelled or you can't go for some reason? ... yet the journey of life toward death is guaranteed but how much preparation have we put in? Ignoring it, sort of hoping it won't happen for quite some time is rather irresponsible.

So let's look ahead and focus on what is to come and our part in it. Take the analogy of driving which I think I've used before: the rear view mirror is much smaller than the front windscreen, why? If we focused more on what's behind us, then we certainly wouldn't get very far, very safely on the road ahead. Take a look rearward and learn from it so that it enables you to steer into the future with careful, sure vision and hope. 

Buzz Lightyear (in the Toy Story films) punches his clenched fist in the air and lifts off into flight exclaiming “to infinity and beyond”. Wouldn’t it be great if when our time comes to depart this earth, we could say with certainty, clear assurance and peaceful gusto “to death and beyond”!

In the meantime I hope I can live in wondrous awe of God's limitless power and infinite grace. I want my dash to leave a legacy of hope and evidence of what God can do for and in even the most broken of lives. To then pass through death and be face to face with Christ my Saviour (those of you who know it, will now be singing the old hymn!), will make sense of everything. What a wonderful prospect! I remember my father sharing that he had gone in to see an elderly man who was a resident in the christian care home nearby and who was in the last days of his life. My father went into his room and found him laying on his bed quite calmly just staring at the ceiling... my father asked him what he was thinking about ... he replied "I'm contemplating paradise" ... how lovely; and not long after that, he was there.

To finish these rather fleeting thoughts, I'll share this poem I like by Linda Ellis called 'The Dash':

"I read of a man who stood to speak at the funeral of a friend.
He referred to the dates on the tombstone from the beginning ... to the end.
He noted that first came the date of birth and spoke of the following date with tears,
but he said what mattered most of all was the dash between those years.
and now only those who loved them know what that little line is worth. 
For that dash represents all the time they spent alive on earth 
For it matters not, how much we own, the cars ... the house ... the cash.
What matters is how we live and love and how we spend our dash.
So think about this long and hard; are there things you'd like to change?
For you never know how much time is left that still can be rearranged.
To be less quick to anger and show appreciation more
and love the people in our lives like we've never loved before.
If we treat each other with respect and more often wear a smile ...
remembering that this special dash might only last a little while.
So when your eulogy is being read, with your life's actions to rehash, 
would you be proud of the things they say about how you lived your dash?"

Let us not fear death and let our lives be lived in light of the fact that we don't fear it, that instead we are quite prepared for it. With this hope and security, we can live as lights which quench the darkness.

Ingrid x

Psalm 90v12 “So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom”.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A piece of audio work ~ Sleep To The Psalms

Hi Folks It's been a while and I've decided to reappear to chat some more if that's ok! I've completed a piece of audio work...