Sunday 20 June 2021

Celebrating Fathers

Yes I know I should have had this posted for yesterday, but I forgot!

Father’s Day ... I am always so thankful for the parents and family I was born into. None of us have an advanced say in the matter and no family or person is perfect, but to be born into a home where God and his word were revered is a good start. 

My father is a strong man with strong beliefs but is emotional too. He considers things carefully and long ... he is often wise, is generous and caring. He loves nature and enjoys the company of cattle! He constant ambition is to share the love of Christ with others. 

There will be many who have or have had fathers of whom they may be ashamed or scared ... or maybe never known. I can’t emphathise but I grieve for you ... that’s hard. We can often, quite naturally, shape our view of God our Heavenly Father, based on our earthy father and it will often be unhelpful. No earthly father will consistently give unconditional love and willingly sacrifice of themselves for their child ... with perfect discipline and justice in love ... perfect provision and guidance. It would be unfair to expect it, but we can rely on our Heavenly Father for that. 

A good example to prepare for their life ahead ... little bits of wisdom gained along the way is what a good father can give. Umberto Eco said “I believe that what we become depends on what our fathers teach us at odd moments, when they aren’t trying to teach us. We are formed by little scraps of wisdom”.

Barack Obama said: “Any fool can have a child. That doesn’t make you a father. It’s the courage to raise a child that makes you a father”.

Frederick Douglas said: “It’s easier to build strong children than repair broken men”.

In the Bible, fathers are instructed to teach their children and bring them up in the word of the Lord ... to not provoke or exasperate them (Eph 6v4).

So, there’s work involved. Fathers are to instruct, guide, counsel, build up, show courage and share wisdom. To do that and be effective, it means they must spend time and be around their children regularly ... this is a commitment and not always something so commonly found these days. 

I also believe that fathers should be fun! Engaged in play and silliness ... outings and make believe ... dens and tree houses ... tractor rides and picnics on straw bales. I recall doing all these things with dad and many more ... being spun around, only held on by a leg and an arm ... the most wonderful Christmas days out to see selfridges window displays ... a seaside trip when harvest was over maybe ... long journeys up to Aberdeen for new year. So many memories and more to come. I am thankful for my father beyond words.

For those of you who don’t know, I no longer live with my children’s father, so to have a stable father figure consistently in the home is something they are lacking ... they spend regular time with him and I am grateful for that. Treasure your time with your father or as a father and seek to do right for your children, but more than that, look to your father in heaven and seek him ... he is everything.

Ingrid x



No comments:

Post a Comment

A piece of audio work ~ Sleep To The Psalms

Hi Folks It's been a while and I've decided to reappear to chat some more if that's ok! I've completed a piece of audio work...