Saturday 10 July 2021

The Better Part

I am primarily challenging myself here. You see, for the past few weeks I suppose, I have been ‘so busy’ with other things on my mind, that I have rushed and neglected my thought life with God .... my communion and contemplative time. I have noticed this when I’ve come to write a blog post and have nothing to give or share because my mind has been focused on other practical things. 

Since when did ‘so busy’ become a legitimate reason for neglecting what is most needed? It’s bonkers really. The very thing that would help with the busyness of life, the decisions which must be made and the strength needed to undertake what’s essential to get done each day, gets pushed to the back! Why would I or any of us do such a thing? I know the truth of it but I allow other things to wiggle their way in and crowd out the better part. I don’t deliberately do this or allow it, but it just happens and before long there’s spiritual malaise. 

Even with my children, when I pray with them at bed time, I rush it and keep it short. I ask them if they’d like to pray and share something they’re thankful for and even at ages 5 and 3, they often put me to shame and remind me of what’s important!

Discipline is needed ... daily. I honestly wish I could learn this lesson and then automatically exist in a state of closeness and communion with our Heavenly Father, but it requires daily renewal, cleansing, conversation and learning, just like it does (but rather less importantly) with any friend. It’s so relatable isn’t it ... we do it (or don’t) for our bodies with diet and exercise and we see the consequences either adversely or positively.

The very fact that I’m busy and have a lot to get done at the moment, with my mind and body being stretched in many directions, should unequivocally lead me to greater dependence on God and his word. Take for example, strength ... the strength needed to get through each day and just keep going ... what’s that well known verse? “The joy of the Lord is your strength” (Nehemiah 8v10). Really stop and think about that. If it’s true (which of course it is, because it’s in God’s word), then we need the Lord’s joy to keep our strength up. How do we get joy? Well I can tell you one thing, it isn’t from neglecting the Lord and his word!! It’s exactly the opposite of course. Joy comes from spending time, communion, deep seated trust and conversation ... from living, real evidence of his presence in your daily life and the ability to talk to him whenever and wherever needed. 

I think joy and light go together ... God’s word is a light unto our path (Psalm 119v105). So to immerse myself in his word will also help my daily life even if it feels ‘dark’ at times as opposed to light, his word and presence will illuminate my path ahead, the next step, and bring me joy despite circumstances.

Many of you will know I am a lone parent to 3 little ones and am currently moving house. Yes I may be busy, but being the only adult in the house should surely nudge me toward greater dependency and communion with my Lord, so that I am assured of right thinking, decisions, timing and activity.

This morning I was woken a bit earlier than I would have liked (!) and kept thinking about the fact that I wasn’t praying much at all ... so here I am with a cup of tea and writing away to you guys. 

I often feel sorry for Martha in Luke 10 ... she’s so busy doing legitimate, helpful things. She’s providing hospitality to the most important guest she would ever have ... I mean, can you imagine for example, the queen unexpectedly coming for tea (or whoever you may hold in highest esteem) ... every one of us would be busy first getting everything ready to meet their needs, and then we may wish to sit down and ask them questions and listen to their words of wisdom. What we are less likely to do, is to have them find us in whatever state we are, and to sit down next to them and just listen ... without having even cleaned the bathroom or prepared food and drink. Yet when it comes to our deepest needs on every level, the better part is to come as we are; listen; lean and learn. From that point, we are more fully able to engage in all the activities of the day with strength, joy and peace ... a knowledge that the God of the universe is in the detail and cares very much about that detail.

I will hopefully change my focus and choose that better part first and foremost every day from now on. When I stray and become neglectful, I pray it won’t be for long before I realise my weakness and foolishness in forging ahead in my own fallible, unreliable effort.

Ingrid x

1 comment:

  1. love these thoughts Ingrid! thanks for sharing them =)

    ReplyDelete

A piece of audio work ~ Sleep To The Psalms

Hi Folks It's been a while and I've decided to reappear to chat some more if that's ok! I've completed a piece of audio work...