Tuesday 21 September 2021

Gardening

“And the Lord God planted a garden” (Gen 2v8).

This verse just caught me recently. We know that he created Eden and then created man and woman who lived in it; a paradise. But it's amazing the words used here ... God planted a garden. I would tend to, in passing, just assume he spoke it into being like he did most other things ... "let there be light, and there was light", yet this is different.

Any of you who have or may have had a garden that requires tending, will know that it's a considerable task. There are many aspects to it, some quite back-breaking jobs with toiling and commitment. A garden requires tender care, consistent care and specific care throughout the seasons of the year. It needs pruning back, feeding, watering, good soil, thinning out and much more.

And here we have God, yes the everlasting God, actually planting a garden! I'm not even sure how to imagine this in my mind ... God using his hands to craft and create the perfect garden. Why doesn't it say that he said "let there be a garden, and there was a garden"? The description of God planting a garden is so much more detailed, personal and tender, almost as though he wanted to be up close to the detail of every little plant, flower and tree. It's a friendly and calming scene to me.

I love a nice garden and I'm very blessed to have one. I can sit and in total calm and peace, listening to nothing apart from nature. My mother came over recently and as we sat in the garden, two different colours of dragonfly came and landed on our knees. Butterflies and bees abound, birds sing their little hearts out and the variety of vegetation is pleasing to the eye. Trees rise up to form the back drop and spongy grass carpets the earth. No wonder is provides solace and the opportunity for tense shoulders to relax, furrowed brows to unfurl. Apple trees are dropping their fruit and the last of the raspberries are clinging on. The autumn winds will soon bring the pleasure of crunchy leaves underfoot and the abundance of changing colours.

What did God plant? Whatever it looked like and whichever variety of plants, trees and flowers he chose, I know for certain that it was the most relaxing and beautiful place for a human to be. If all this time later, I can feel the way I do about a garden, then goodness knows what that garden was like. I'm so grateful for God's creativity and attention to detail, colour, variety, contrast, art forms, humour and magnificent array of spectacular beauty. I think he likes us taking care of our gardens and enjoying them. I think he likes us taking care of the countryside and forests too, the rivers and streams, the fields and the hills, the hedges and seas, the mountains and deserts ... we have a duty to protect and nourish these amazing creative gifts God has allowed us to enjoy.

If this is the beauty of earth, what must heaven and the new earth look like?!

So, if you're a gardener or just enjoy gardening, then be encouraged ... you're in a heavenly, godly trade! God is a gardener too. He planted a garden for humans ... imagine that!

Ingrid x

No comments:

Post a Comment

A piece of audio work ~ Sleep To The Psalms

Hi Folks It's been a while and I've decided to reappear to chat some more if that's ok! I've completed a piece of audio work...