Tuesday 5 October 2021

Getting dressed

So when was the last time you carefully calculated and decided to get thoroughly dressed spiritually before you did physically in the morning? I get it ... I haven't done it either, not in a very specific way!

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armour of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities,against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armour of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord's people". (Eph 6v10-18)

Think about the actual act of getting dressed ... you have to find each item of clothing and then take ahold of them and put them on one by one, completing your attire suitable for the day ahead. Once downstairs and before you leave the house, you'll put suitable footwear and outerwear on too. Each piece is needed and appropriate (usually!).

Can you imagine what sort of days we'd have, if we did the same spiritually, putting on the armour of God? Visualise actually taking each item and putting it on you, fully clothing yourself with the power and protection God has readily given for us to use.

I quite often don't stand firm ... I falter, faff about, fail and almost deliberately want to give into temptation or complacency. Surely if I had gotten myself dressed properly first thing, I wouldn't even have to think about whether or not I could stand firm; it would be a given that I would! With that list of armour and the application given, I honestly feel as though I could conquer any challenge a day may bring. I would have courage and commitment; clarity of thought and motive; I would soar above the pettiness; I would deflect the arrows of self-doubt and false accusation; falsehoods would not deter me from pursuing the truth and standing my ground. What mighty power there is in this passage and I would venture to say for the most part, untapped by the majority. 

I've a good mind to stencil the exhortation in these verses on my bedroom wall, or maybe on my wardrobe, so that I consider getting dressed for the day's battles, before I get dressed in my physical clothes. 

The passage starts with BE STRONG and ends with BE ALERT ... in the middle STAND FIRM ... and always pray.

Let us try, from this day forward, to prioritise our spiritual attire over our physical dressage.

Ingrid x

No comments:

Post a Comment

A piece of audio work ~ Sleep To The Psalms

Hi Folks It's been a while and I've decided to reappear to chat some more if that's ok! I've completed a piece of audio work...