Tuesday 26 October 2021

Sometimes we’re just supposed to do nothing

“Be still, and know that I am God” (Psalm 46v10) … how often have you heard that quoted? I have, many times and if I’m honest I have even had it quoted at me and resented it because it’s being used in almost an accusatory way, or it’s like being told off because I’m not being patient enough.

We often want and sometimes actually need answers to questions. We may need them by a certain deadline. It might be, and hopefully so, that we truly want to know God’s opinion and will in the matter … so we pray … we acknowledge God’s presence and his specific care for us, and we ask for his direction; his will to be made known; for clear evidence as to what he would want us to choose; for his provision for us to proceed and for this to be made known by whatever time constraint we put before him. 

Then sometimes … nothing! Oh yes, I’ve been there … humanly it’s mega frustrating and tough. Surely if God wants us to do the right thing and make the right choice, then he’d make it abundantly clear? 

I don’t have the answers but I do know this … sometimes God wants us to do nothing. To not rush forwards; to not flap about and stress with overthought and sleepless nights … but rather, to simply acknowledge Him for who He is and to rest in the fact that He is “able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think” (Eph 3v20). He’s got it. He knows. He cares. He will provide. He will direct and open the way. 

During the period of ‘limbo land’ and waiting we are to “be still” and get to know the real God of the detail of our lives and to watch and wait. I’m a poor ‘waiter’ … I struggle to make decisions at the best of times, so if I need to make one then I jolly well want the answer and to have instant gratification as to the outcome God has in mind, so that I can crack on. Needless to say, I’m often enduring times of waiting and still having to learn lessons! 

I read this today and enjoyed it: “The Canadian preacher A.B. Simpson said: ‘Often there’s nothing as godly as inactivity on our part, or nothing as harmful as restless working, for God has promised to work His sovereign will.’ Today God may be saying to you, ‘Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted [in this situation]’ (Psalm 46:10 NKJV). Please pay attention!”

So worry less about the outcome or decision needing to be made, and focus more on the knowledge of your God in the stillness of moments that you’ll have to carve out in your day specifically to dedicate to this … they don’t just readily appear. Then having pursued this path of excellence, you will no doubt and quite easily be assured of your next step … in fact it wouldn’t surprise me if the answer you were seeking to a decision or choice needing to be made, manifested itself without angst and that the peace which only God can give, filled you up and reassured you that God himself had gone before and very tenderly seen to all the details.

It is during these waiting, quiet and still times that God himself can lead us beside the still waters, have us lay down in green pastures and gives refreshment and restoration to our souls. Who would want to argue with that or have frantic stress instead of peaceful renewal? Leave it with the one who know and cares best … it’ll work out.

Ingrid x

No comments:

Post a Comment

A piece of audio work ~ Sleep To The Psalms

Hi Folks It's been a while and I've decided to reappear to chat some more if that's ok! I've completed a piece of audio work...